8.04.2011

Luxe Life


A family friend was in town this week, and at dinner one night, we talked about good places to shop in the city. As we discussed good thrift stores, fun boutiques, the expensive and quirky glories of SoHo (above), et al, I realized that I do most of my shopping online. I live in the fashion capital of the country, if not the world, and I still usually shop on my laptop. I know, I know...

But today, I saw two articles that were slightly troubling or encouraging, depending on your perspective. The first is a piece on Smart Money about how online retailers will soon have to start charging state sales tax. That will definitely cramp my style in more ways than one. (In case you wondered, some of my current favorite sites are Anthropologie, AmazonGilt Groupe, Blue Fly, the Foundary, Net-A-Porter and Zappos.)
The other was in the NYTimes about the upswing in high-end designer shopping. Retailers like Neiman Marcus and Barney's are having trouble keeping some of their most high-end items in stock. It looks like as the economy creeps back to recovery, the wealthier Americans are getting more optimistic with their purchases. I wonder, though, if it reflects a new valuing of things that will last longer, since you never know when you'll have the money to replace it. Either way, I confess I'd sure love to be able to afford a pair of Louboutins!

No comments:

Post a Comment